How I fell in love with country music | Martin Farrer

My life didn’t change when I saw the duelling banjos scene in Deliverance, but it was the first time I realised there was more to country music than the Benny Hill theme tune

My name is Martin and I love country music. There you go, I’ve said it. It’s not always an easy thing to do. When the subject comes up, I get a funny sort of look. Once you spring the c-word on people, you can see they’re thinking: “Shit, this bloke’s weird. Does he dress up like a cowboy at home and do those funny dances?”

Sometimes people like to crack a joke about country and I’ve heard most of them. There’s the one that goes: “Do you like country? Or just western?” And then there’s: “Yeeeeehaaaaa!” People think that one’s pretty hilarious. But there is one joke which is quite funny and also very telling. It goes like this. Two blokes go into a pub, somewhere in northern England. One of them, who is hard of hearing, goes to the bar to get some drinks. The barmaid says there’s a band on, a country and western band. The bloke goes back to his mate and sits down with the drinks. “There’s a band on tonight,” he says. The other bloke says “What type of band?” The other one replies: “I don’t know. Some cunt from Preston.”

Continue reading...

from Music | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2DqGMwg

0 comments:

Post a Comment